The process of demonstrating the essential features about a product or services which meet the requirement of standards, regulations and other specification is called conformity assessment. A variety of Processes involved in verifying that goods/services meet acceptable voluntary or mandatory standards such as Testing , Surveillance, Inspection, Assessment, Auditing, Certification and Registration. Objectives of Conformity Assessment are to:
- Ensure the conformance of products/services with relevant standards (ISO, IEC/BIS etc);
- Encourage international trade (tries to check trade malpractices);
- Prevent sale of substandard/unsafe product;
- Prevent importation of substandard products;
- Save lives and property;
- Prevent pollution of air and water;
- Conserve hard-earned foreign exchange.